Cost Saving Opportunities
Using resources efficiently and reducing excess waste are key factors for operating a successful business and protecting the planet. This is especially true for the hospitality industry where the increasing cost and use of energy, water, and waste disposal have a significant impact. The Green Key Self-Assessment and performance report are designed to help hoteliers identify ways to reduce operating costs through new technologies, supply chain management, employee awareness, and guest participation. Case studies and proven cost saving initiatives are available to all participants.
Sales & Marketing Support
As support for sustainable development continues to grow, so does the demand for responsible accommodation. Green Key-rated hotels have access to the following unique tools and resources:
- Promotion on the Find Green Hotels page of the Green Key website with a direct link to your homepage.
- Use of the Green Key logo for collateral development as well as a logo specific to your Green Key Rating.
- Green Key Certificate specific to your Green Key Rating.
- Your Green Key rating/affiliation added to your posting* with our various listing affiliates.
- Your Green Key rating added to your posting* on the Federal Public Works internal business travel directory
- Promotion of your rating in the M&IT Buyers Guide and on www.meetingscanada.com. Valid for both US and Canadian Green Key members.
- AAA/CAA are now promoting green ratings in their TourBooks.
* Our listing affiliates include AAA/CAA, Travelocity, Motel.com, FedRooms and more. We provide our affiliates with monthly updates; if you already maintain listings with any of these companies your Green Key certification will be added to your listing. Note: The Federal Government of Canada’s Accommodation Directory lists green rated accommodations (both Canadian and US) on their internal directory. Your rating will be included if your hotel has a standing offer to provide room rates in accordance with government terms and conditions. Click here for more information on this government directory.
Public Relations Tools
Promoting your environmental accomplishments to the media has never been easier:
- Download press release templates tailored to your specific Green Key Rating
- Download email footers and certificates tailored to your specific Green Key Rating
According to a 2009 Travel Intentions Survey conducted by Fleishman-Hillard, environmental initiatives are important to almost 40 per cent of both leisure and business travelers when they are selecting their accommodations. Forty-seven per cent of leisure and 39 per cent of business travelers also indicated that they would pay between $1-$5 per night to participate in a carbon off-set program. The Green Key Eco-Rating program provides hoteliers with access to logos and certificates in recognition of their performance and offers tips on promoting environmental awareness to guests without sacrificing service or satisfaction.
Employee Training & Motivation
In order to reduce environmental impacts and operating costs you need your employees' help. The Green Key Self-Assessment provides hoteliers with a property-specific action plan to focus employee resources and motivate behavioral changes. By involving your employees in the firm's environmental activities, you also help create a great sense of pride in the company.
Tips and Other Resources
The member section of the site provides hoteliers with a detailed guide to helping them complete the self-assessment, including definitions of terms and more.
The “Greening Your Department” tips list ways in which the following areas can change practices and attitudes: Laundry, Kitchens, Offices & Public Areas, Stores/Purchasing, Housekeeping, Engineering/Maintenance, Food & Beverage Services.
The “Tools” section of the member site provides links to resources under the following headings: General Informational, Financial Tools & Incentives, Technical Tools, and Articles & Case Studies.
The “Links” page provides them with a gateway to a variety of information, programs, incentives, publications, and more in a variety of areas:
- Environment/Sustainable Development
- Facility Management
- Food Service Equipment
- Government Program Information
- Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning
- Laundry Systems
- Lighting Systems
- Renewable Energy / Co-Generation
- Water / Wastewater Systems
Green Key Global is continually working to provide new benefits to its members.